Any mom can tell you, snacks are important. Not just any snacks, though. They need to be the right snacks. They are a way to keep the confines of our home harmonious, as a hungry kid is a cranky kid. And, since my oldest son, Jedi, is type 1 diabetic, the right snacks go beyond just making sure bellies are full.
Preferably, though, the right snacks are also something that mom enjoys, too.
For the many Americans who resolve to eat healthier in the New Year, focusing on healthy snacks is an easy way to improve the quality of your diet, especially when you add prunes to your favorite snacking recipes. This feel good fruit provides a number of positive effects, as studies suggest, including bone health, heart health and regularity.
We were sent a box of Sunsweet® products including PlumSmart® Light, a juice made from a special variety of fresh plums and has only 60 calories and 15g of carbs, as well as Amaz!nâ„¢ Prunes, which are a good source of fiber for only 100 calories per serving. There was also a bag of Amaz!nâ„¢ Diced Plums, which you can add to your favorite snacking recipe for extra fiber and a fruit flavor boost.
We added a couple handfuls of Amaz!nâ„¢ Diced Dried Plums to an Amazing Puppy Chow recipe.
Puppy Chow, otherwise known as Muddy Buddies, is an easy treat to make. Simply take a rice square cereal, coat it in chocolate then shake it all around in powdered sugar. That is just the base of it. Not so healthy, right? Which is why I cut back some on the powdered sugar and chocolate. For our Amazing Puppy Chow, I also added pretzels and 2 cups of Amaz!nâ„¢ Diced Dried Plums. The plums add such a nice, juicy bite to the crunch and sweetness of the other ingredients.
Kid-friendly, mother approved, and just sweet enough to be a great snack to see you through the new year. Keep this Amazing Puppy Chow on hand in an airtight container, we like to keep ours in the refrigerator, for a quick snacking option and keep the cranky kids at bay!
- 4 cups rice cereal squares (I used cinnamon flavor)
- 2 cups pretzel sticks
- 2 cups Sunsweet® Diced Dried Plums
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a large microwaveable bowl, add chocolate chips and peanut butter. Cook for 1 minute, stir. Continue for another 30 seconds. Stir.
- Add rice cereal squares to chocolate mix. Toss gently until well coated.
- Add powdered sugar to large plastic bag or paper sack. Pour chocolate cereal into bag, along with pretzels. Shake until all coated.
- Add dried plums and shake lightly until well mixed.
- Store in airtight containers for quick snacking!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.