Blueberry Lemon Danish Braid
You know you’re having a decadent breakfast when it feels more like dessert. That’s what this Blueberry Lemon Danish Braid is like. It’s an opportunity to start the day off sweet. There’s so much glaze and cream cheese, but it’s also balanced with blueberry and lemon. A classic combination. And oh so good!
Of course, you don’t have to wait for breakfast to take a bite out of the Blueberry Lemon Danish Braid. Pull apart the pieces of the braided bread and share it anytime. It’s a great way to treat a sweet mom to a sweet treat on Mother’s Day, too!
It’s a kid-pleaser, too. Kids will love spreading all the blueberries and white chocolate chips across a spread of cream cheese then watching as the dough is braided, sealed, and baked. Like a loaf of love. After baking, top with a powdered sugar glaze. Sweet and delicious!
Our Blueberry Lemon Danish Braid takes help from the store with prepackaged crescent dough.
Then you’ll simply need blueberries, lemon juice, sugar, and cream cheese for the filling. Add white chocolate chips for a sweeter treat that’s more like dessert.
After it’s baked, drizzle on a glaze of powdered sugar, more cream cheese, milk, lemon juice, and an egg yolk. Mix until it’s a smooth. If you’d like it more thicker add in more powdered sugar. If you’d like it thinner, add in more milk.
The Blueberry Lemon Danish Braid serves 6-8, but you might be tempted to keep it all to yourself. It also pairs with fresh fruit and juice for a simple, sweet breakfast treat the whole family will love! If you decide to share it with them, that is.
Blueberry Lemon Danish Braid
- 1 tub of Pillsbury Original Crescent Roll
- 4 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 3 teaspoons of sugar, divided
- Â¾ cup of blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 3-4 teaspoons of lemon juice (or to taste)
- Â¼ cup of white chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cream cheese, softened
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl add in 2 teaspoons of sugar, 3-4 teaspoons of lemon juice, and 4 ounces of softened cream cheese. With a hand mixer, mix ingredients together until it is well creamed. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add 1 teaspoon of sugar to blueberries. Set aside.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and unroll crescent doll. Pinch seams together to create one large rectangle. Press dough gently to release any bubbles.
- On the sides of the rectangle, you're going to cut one inch strips diagonally about one and a half inches, towards the center of the rectangle, with a pizza cutter. Repeat onto the other side. (Make sure you do not cut the center. The center is where the filling is going to go.)
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the middle of the dough. Spread it evenly across.
- Top the cream cheese mixture with blueberries and white chocolate chips (if desired).
- From one end of the crescent, you're going to take one strip from one side and cross it over the middle onto the other side. Next, you're going to take a strip from the other side and cross it over the middle and over the strip you just put across and tuck it into the other side. Repeat the process until all strips have been crossed to create a braid like pattern. Be sure to pinch the dough, ensuring that it stays in one piece.
- With a pastry brush, you're going to give the dough an egg wash by dipping the brush into the egg yolk, then you're going to gently brush the top of the dough. This helps give it a beautiful shine.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a beautiful golden color.
- While the Danish is baking, in a large bowl add in the ingredients for the glaze. With a hand mixer, cream the ingredients together. If you'd like it more thicker add in more powdered sugar. If you'd like it thinner, add in more milk.
- Once the Danish has cooked and cooled slightly, drizzle the glaze over the Danish and serve.
- Garnish with lemon zest, blueberries, or white chocolate chips.
Find more delicious breakfast recipes at Our Kid Things and more Mother’s Day ideas, too!