Today is my 35th birthday. I don’t have any major plans or ways to celebrate. It will most likely be spent just like any other day; playing with my kids, cleaning up, working, maybe grocery shopping. This life, it’s not exceptionally exciting, but it’s quaint and it’s mine.
Looking at the bigger picture, there are a few things I want to accomplish during my 35th year. My 5 things in 35.
1. Get a tattoo – I’ve wanted a tattoo since I was a teenager, but back then I wasn’t thinking of any particular design and the desire waned for awhile. I know exactly what I want now, though, a design that I’ve had in mind for over a year. Something smaller, delicate, black and white with personal significance. On the base of the back of my neck.
2. Climb a mountain – Actually, I don’t even need to climb the mountain. I just want to see and be near the mountains. To look up and be amazed at the beauty that extends towards the sky. After a life of living in flat land and corn fields, I’ve been dreaming of mountains.
3. Swim in the Ocean – By the same measure, I would love to dip my toes in an ocean again. I remember the first time I visited Florida when I was 17 like it was yesterday, and I’ve been longing to go back.
4. Move – This isn’t exactly what I want, but it is what we need. We’ve been living in a very small place and the time has come to expand. There’s just not enough room for all of us here anymore, there never really was.
5. Me time – I think 35 is a good time to realize my worth, a role that extends past mom. While of course that’s a huge part of me, I’m more than cleaning up and grocery shopping. I’m good at things. And I don’t always need to be â€œonâ€, I can take a break now and then. I need to learn to embrace all of myself without the guilt that tends to come with it.
So, happy birthday to me! I really hope 35 is a good year.