What’s better than ice cream sandwiches? Mini Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches! In fact, these Mini Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches take a lot of help from the store, because who wants to be stuck inside a kitchen all summer long? Kids want cool, delicious treats that don’t take all day, and I don’t want to spend all day. I’d rather be outside!
Then they’re finished with a roll through sprinkles! You could even make these perfect for July 4th with red, white and blue colored sprinkles. Multi-color are great for birthdays or just for fun, and chocolate sprinkles are always good, too.
To make our Mini Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches, start by getting a sheet of ice cream ready. To do this, let the ice cream of your choice soften at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Then, line a 13×9 cookie sheet with wax paper. Once ice cream is softened, scoop it onto the cookie sheet and spread it out evenly. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer and let freeze for at least 2 hours.
While that’s freezing, bake cookies. We used mini chocolate chip refrigerated cookie dough, prepared according to package directions. Feel free to use a favorite homemade recipe, though, if you’d like. The kids would love to help with this. Me? I’d rather be outside. Unless it 100 degrees, then I’m more than happy to be in. But I don’t really want to slave in the kitchen then, either.
To make the Mini Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches, use a round cookie cutter that is about the same size as the cookies. Cut out a circle of ice cream from the sheet. Place on top of a cookie and top with the other.
Finally, roll through your sprinkles of choice.
Such a delicious summer ice cream treat! And I love that they’re mini-sized, as it means I don’t feel so guilty having more than one.
- mini chocolate chip refrigerated cookie dough
- 1.5 quarts of ice cream (flavor of your choice)
- sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, etc.
- Let ice cream soften at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Line a 13x9 cookie sheet (with sides) with wax paper. Once ice cream is softened, scoop it onto the cookie sheet and spread it out evenly. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer and let freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Bake cookies according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Pair up cookies with ones of similar size and shape and set aside on another wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place sprinkles in a bowl.
- Remove the cookie sheet of ice cream from the freezer and using a round cookie cutter that is the same size (or a tad bit larger) as the cookies, cut out circles from the sheet of ice cream.
- Using the pairs of cookies you set aside, place one ice cream circle on the bottom side of one of the cookies from the pair and then place the other cookie on top (with the bottom of the cookie against the ice cream). Dip the sides of the cookie sandwiches into the bowl of sprinkles until all of the ice cream is coated with sprinkles. Place assembled cookie back on the cookie sheet with wax paper. Repeat until you have cut out as many ice cream circles as you can. Work quickly so the ice cream doesn't melt too much, and/or have someone to help you.
- Place the assembled cookies back into the freezer for two hours before serving. Serve immediately upon removing from freezer.
Be sure to find more fun summer recipe and craft ideas at Our Kid Things!