Super Orange Bars
The active days of summer call for doing better and being better. More exercise, more laughter, more get-togethers, more time spent outside, more summer treats, and more lighter dessert flavors. Because even though we may be watching what we eat, we still need to reward ourselves. And these Super Orange Bars are a wonderful treat!
The summer weather has truly been cooperative for spending afternoons out in our pool. I enjoy it just as much as the kids do, though their jumps may be more impressive. Swimming from one side to the other, it’s my favorite form of exercise these days and a wonderful way to clear my head. I love how fresh and relaxed I feel after.
As such, when I do emerge from the water, I’m looking for a treat that’s just as fresh and refreshing. So with a bunch of oranges I got to work on these Super Orange Bars in time for our afternoon swim.
Now, for the crust. This is easy to do with softened butter, flour, sugar, and 1 teaspoon of fresh orange juice. Press it into a prepared 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper then bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. That consists of 3 more tablespoons of fresh orange juice, 2 teaspoons of fresh orange zest, 2 eggs, baking powder, and sugar. Then, pour the mixture into the browned crust and bake for another 20 minutes. The middle will still be slightly jiggly, but will set when cool.
Once cool, remove from the pan and cut into delicious squares.
Finish the Super Orange Bars with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Super benefits in a super bar for a super summer!
Super Orange Bars
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp + 1 cup sugar
- 4 oz water
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- powdered sugar
- Prepare 8x8 pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix butter, flour, 2 tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp fresh orange juice in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Press dough into the bottom of the pan with your fingers.,
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup sugar, the remaining orange juice, zest, eggs, salt, and baking powder.
- Pour filling into hot crust and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Center will still be jiggly, but will set once cooled.
- Once cool and set, remove from the pan using the edges of the parchment paper. Then carefully peel off paper, cut into squares, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
How are you treating yourself this summer?
I love doing laps in the pool! It’s such a great way to exercise in the summer. Your Super Orange Bars look like a delicious way to replenish and refresh after a good swim! The thought never crossed my mind to bake with Emergen-C – great idea! (client)