Last week, just in time for Memorial Day weekend, I was able to participate in a webinar for The Vision Council on behalf of The Motherhood. There, I learned some interesting facts about UV protection for your eyes along with a number of areas I need to improve upon.
Did you know that children are especially prone to UV damage? Unlike the mature ocular lens of an adult eye, a child’s lens cannot filter out UV rays as easily, allowing them to reach the retina. Unprotected, even small amounts of intense UV exposure can result in bloodshot eyes, swollen eyes, or hyper-sensitivity to light.
The above, for example, is the wrong way to protect your eyes. Though it’s awfully cute.
This is why it’s so important to always outfit your kids in proper sunglasses. Only 48% of U.S. adults report that they make their children wear sunglasses to protect eyes from UV damage. I have to admit, I was in the other 52%. My daughter loves to wear glasses, but I never made her or my boys. This is an area I need to work on, especially since children receive three times the annual sun exposure as adults.
While my daughter does love to wear sunglasses, I was buying her the cheap ones without any regard to how they filter out UVA and UVB rays. I now know to first look for a sticker or label on the lens or frame that indicates protection. If you don’t see a sticker or have an older pair of sunglasses, you can bring them to an eye care professional who can test them using a UV meter. But you should also let your children pick out their own glasses, that way they’ll be more prone to wear them.
It was a very rainy Memorial Day weekend for us, but we still made the most of it while wearing our sunglasses.
I have been compensated for my time participating in this program. All opinions are mine.