Kids and vegetables go together like peanut butter and fried eggs. So, not at all, really. My childrens’ relationship with veggies started off well enough. I remember them each eagerly scarfing down an entire jar of pureed carrots and peas like it was the best thing on earth. It didn’t last, though. Which isn’t to say that making healthy meals for kids is a completely lost cause. Jedi, my oldest, happens to love asparagus and broccoli. My younger two, however, well getting them to eat anything green is like trying to argue with a wild monkey.
Thus, the trick to getting those oh so important veggies in their tummies is usually just to hide them. The best dishes to hide them in are those that are already their favorites, like macaroni and cheese. Or, better yet, Vegetable Macaroni and Cheese Muffins.
You also need to start your healthy meals for kids with some great tasting, premium veggies like C&W Vegetables. Available in the freezer aisle at Walmart, there are 25 varieties of C&W Vegetables to choose from. So there has to be something that even the staunchest of veggie-loathers can agree on.
Or, as I said, hide them. I used half a bag of C&W Petite Peas in our Vegetable Macaroni and Cheese Muffins this time, though really any vegetable would work. Carrots, peppers, broccoli, all good.
If you have a kid who doesn’t mind veggies already, though, these muffins are a great dish for them to help you prepare. Jedi actually likes to help me cook. As such, he was happy to check on the macaroni.
And then stir in the cheese and peas.
We then packed a muffin tin with our macaroni and peas mixture, topping each off with a bit more cheese and bread crumbs.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the tops are toasted brown, then let sit a few minutes to cool and retain their shape. Transfer to wire rack if needed, but try not to get your shirt sleeve in the muffins like my son. Sometimes, that’s what you get when cooking with kids.
These Vegetable Macaroni and Cheese Muffins are very much a success. And no wild monkeys to argue with, here. You can thank me later.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 8 oz C&W Vegetables (peas, carrots, corn, etc.)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray, sprinkling 2 tbsp of bread crumbs between each tin. Tap out excess.
- Combine 1/2 cups bread crumbs, olive oil, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, until there's still just a bit of bite. Drain and return to pan. Stir in butter and egg until macaroni is coated. Add 1 cup Sharp Cheddar, 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella, milk, and vegetables to pasta.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins, filling to the top of each. Sprinkle remaining cheese and bread crumb mixture on top of each.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the tops are browned. Let sit for a few minutes before removing from pan to help retain their shape.
C&W vegetables Ibotta coupon
Make sure you add C&W Vegetables to your shopping list and don’t forget to take advantage of the $.50 off of 1 package of C&W vegetables Ibotta coupon good at select Walmart stores. (while supplies last)